Product Info > Easy Installation
Quick and Easy 2 Hour Installation
Natural Light Tubular Skylights can be installed in about 2 hours or less. Installation requires no painting, no wiring or structural changes. Natural Light has many certified dealers nationwide who can professionally install your unit, but homeowners can also install our units.
If you are a handy do-it-yourself homeowner, you can easily do the job! Installation requires basic DIY skills including using a reciprocating saw to cut a hole in your roof and a drywall saw to cut a hole in your ceiling. Natural Light Tubular Skylights were designed to be air-tight and leak proof. The most crucial part of the installation is attaching and sealing the flashing on the roof to ensure a weather-tight seal.
Step-by-step illustrated instructions are provided with each kit to assist you. Every tubular skylight comes with all the hardware needed to complete a 48" long run. If needed, extra light pipe can be purchased for taller installations. Angled adapters (elbows) are also available if a straight run installation is not possible. Angle adapters allow the direction of the light pipe to change up to 45 degrees - though Natural Light recommends straight runs whenever possible to achieve the highest light output. Visit installation downloads page.
Summary of Installation
The outline below is just a summary of the steps involved but are not in correct order. Please read and carefully follow the instructions provided prior to beginning your installation.
On Top of Your Roof:
- Cut opening in desired location (southern exposure is recommended)
- Slide flashing under roof shingles
- Secure with provided hardware and caulk around flashing
- Slide pipe through flashing and into the attic
- Attach dome to flashing
Inside Your Attic Space:
- Measure length of light pipe needed for your installation
- Cut light pipe with tin snips
- Secure light pipes together with provided screws and insulation tape
Inside Your Home
- Locate desired location and cut hole in ceiling with a drywall saw
- Attach ceiling collar to the light pipe and attach polycarbonate lenses
- Place diffuser into trim ring
- Snap trim ring into place
- Enjoy your the soft, natural light of your new tubular skylight!
Caulking Gun, Drill, Drywall Saw, Flashlight, Flat Bar, Hammer, Ladder, Marking Pencil, Measuring Tape, Reciprocating Saw, Safety Goggles, Screwdriver, Stud Finder, String, Tin Snips, Utility Knife, Wire